Come celebrate the arrival of Spring, with live music at the Whistle Stop Depot, downtown Tucson! The event will preview our upcoming Tucson Folk Festival, and will feature performances by folks on two stages.
The Whistle Stop Depot (WSD) is an award-winning building, created artfully renovating an old metal and glass warehouse, re-purposed and reclaimed materials. It affords room for a huge dance floor and indoor stage, with a state-of-the-art sound system, as well as a separate performance area on the loading dock. Bring your own instrument to play, sing and jam in one of the areas in the huge yard.
3:20 – Determined Luddites – Original acoustic music for the sophisticated urban hillbilly with guitar, mandolin and bass. Dan Davis, Dan Hostettler & son bring us songs about dope, guns, exes, saints and sinner in the dystoipian paradise of Baja Arizona.
4:20 – Ice-9 – an acoustic trio featuring Mike Tanzillos’ original songs and guitar-playing, Richard’s unique harmonica and Slim Rost on bass, they boogie with a Texas-based two-stepping rhythm
5:20 – Cadillac Mountain – high-powered bluegrass with Joel Leland (Guitar and Vocals), Rudy Cortese (Banjo and Vocals), Katie Kerr (Bass) and the amazing Heather Hardy (vocals and fiddle)
6:20 – Eric Schaffer and the Other Troublemakers, Ed Delucia, Troy James Martin and Jaye Parks add delightful harmonies and tight musicianship to Eric’s emotional, original ballads, with a very danceable sound.
LOADING DOCK STAGE
3:00 – Tari Tenace – the definition of folk plays mostly originals with strong vocals with good picking with her friend Justin Freitag on guitar
4:00 – Bob Einweck – a long-time resident of Tucson and Silver City, NM brings his orignal songs and guitar to the celebration
5:00 – Vicky Smith – with her beautiful voice plays guitar and sings folk songs with the debeanair Ric Volante on mandolin
6:00 – Joyce Luna – blends expressive and soulful singing with poetic songwriting, a romantic streak and a persistent belief that music can change the world.
- WSD offers an open cash and credit card bar serving beer, craft beer, wine and mixed drinks using Premium Blend of tequila, vodka, whiskey, rum or spiced rum. TKMA will offer water and soda for purchase, as well.
- Food and ice-cream will be available for purchase from local Tucson vendors.
- Come early to park in the adjacent half-acre lot, which accommodates 50 cars (100 people if guests arrive as couples). Overflow parking is available within walking distance at the Franklin Docks (Toole & Stone) for $2.
- Be the first to purchase this year’s new festival T-shirts with the Official 2017 Tucson Folk Festival Design, “Mariachi Saguaros,” by Tucson artist, Diana Madaras!
- There will also be an opportunity to sign-up for your choice of volunteer shifts at the folk festival.
Your $10 donation will go towards producing the 32nd Annual Tucson Folk Festival
May 6 & 7, 2017 – Thank you!